Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - noon.
To better assist you, please contact the office in advance to schedule an appointment.
We look forward to serving you!
Mission: Inform members of the armed forces, veterans, and their dependents of all federal, state, and local laws enacted for their benefit.
Duty: Provide a no-cost professional service to assist those eligible in obtaining military service records and veteran benefits.
Federal benefits: Generally speaking, a veteran must have served on federal active-duty, other than training, and have been discharged under honorable conditions or retired under Title 10 of the United States Code to qualify for federal benefits. Benefits include:
- Healthcare - covers hearing aids and eyeglasses.
- Disability compensation - including dependency and indemnity compensation.
- Non-service connected pensions.
- Death pensions.
- Education benefits.
- Home loan guarantees.
- Life insurance.
- Burial and memorial benefits.
Presumptive service-connected disability groups:
- Former Prisoners of War.
- Atomic veterans exposed to ionizing radiation.
- Vietnam veterans exposed to “agent orange” - includes “blue water” Navy veterans who develop non-Hodgkins lymphoma.
- Camp Lejeune residents exposed to contaminants in the water supply - must have 30 consecutive days at Camp Lejeune between August 1, 1953 and December 31, 1987.
- Gulf War veterans with “undiagnosed illness” rated 10% disabling by Dec 31, 2021.
- Veterans with “chronic diseases” diagnosed within 1 year of release from active-duty service.
- Veterans who develop amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) at any time - must have had 90 days of continuous active-duty service to qualify.
State benefits: The State of Iowa also includes retired Reservist and/or retired Iowa National Guard members in several of their offered benefits. Benefits include:
- Veteran designation on driver’s license or ID card - free at renewal or $10 duplicate.
- Veteran license plates - first set is free; additional military specialty plates available.
- Military property tax exemption - reduces a veteran’s assessed home value by $1,852.
- Veteran lifetime hunting/fishing license - $7.00; must be service-connected disabled.
- Military home ownership assistance - $5,000 grant towards purchasing a home in Iowa.
- Iowa Veterans Trust Fund - provides temporary assistance for qualifying veterans.
- Iowa Veterans Home – a continuum of care for veterans and their spouses; needs based.
- Iowa Veterans Cemetery - free internment for veterans and $300 for their dependents.
County benefits: Calhoun County provides temporary assistance to qualifying indigent veterans who are legal residence of Calhoun County and demonstrate an emergency situation. Assistance/benefits include:
- Monetary assistance is limited to rent, utility, and burial expenses.
- Transportation requests to VA medical appointments will be considered as a last resort and provided only if a volunteer driver is available; volunteers needed!
- Brushy Creek Area Honor Flight – all expenses paid trip to Washington, DC’s war memorials; open to all WWII, Korea, and Vietnam era veterans.
- Vietnam War 50th Commemoration book – free to Vietnam era veterans or their families.
- Bronze grave markers – initial marker is provided at no cost
Free to Qualifying Veterans