New and/or transferred vessels are registered with the Calhoun County Recorder. Boat registrations expire on April 30th, 2019. Boat fees are based on the length of the boat.All boats 17 feet or longer, and any boat that carries a lien, need to be titled. The exceptions are Canoes, Kayaks, and Inflatable vessels, regardless of length.
- Title fee without lien: $12.75
- Title fee with lien: $25.50
- Application for Boat Certificate of Title and registration
Please call our office for current boat registration fees. 712-297-8121.
- Transfer Fee: $3.75
- Duplicate Fee: $3.75
Effective July 1, 2005 per the Iowa Department of Revenue:
- Per section 45 of SF 413 amended Iowa Code section 423.3(39).
- Sales of boats and other watercraft in Iowa are subject to the state sales tax at least 6% plus local option taxes, if any. This applies to sales by Individuals, as well as, dealers.
- Anyone purchasing a boat from an individual should obtain a Bill of Sale that shows the cost of the boat. The buyer will then pay the sales tax on the cost of the boat to the County Recorder.
- Bring the signed registration and signed title, if there is a title issued on this boat.
- If a trailer is purchased with the boat, the motor vehicle use tax is paid to the County Treasurer.