Family and Child Health Services
The Family/Child Health Program improves the health and social well being of children and families. Services are provided directly, or individuals are helped to access programs of other agencies that promote physical and financial health and minimize the effects of illness or developmental delays.
Who is eligible?
Referrals are accepted from any interested party.
Families residing in Calhoun County and surrounding counties. Children within Calhoun County school systems. All services require voluntary participation by persons receiving service.
What is the fee?
Many services are provided without charge. A sliding fee scale based on the client's household income is used to determine fees.
Services may be fully or partially funded by state and federal grants, as well as health insurance plans.
For more information contact Barb Riley, Kristy Vogel or Deb Gimer.
Medical Home is a partnership between Calhoun County Public Health, the child’s medical practitioner and the child’s caregiver working together to ensure children get quality health care. Medical Home includes:
Case Management to assist in scheduling well-child exams according to EPSDT guidelines; Assistance in arranging transportation to well-child exam (if needed); Assistance with health insurance coverage (if needed); Follow up to assure services are received.
Well-Child Exams (held at your child’s medical practitioner’s office) include: Developmental Testing; Complete Physical Exam; Immunizations, Lead Screenings, Oral Health including Fluoride Varnish and Lab Screenings, at age appropriate appointments; Child Health and Development Resources; Referrals (if needed).
Care For Kids
Families with children 0-19 years of age utilizing Medicaid are informed of benefits and linked to needed services. In-home nursing services for children with medical needs is available.
Family Foundations assists pregnant women and families with children under the age of two to prepare for a new baby and to provide the best care possible after that baby arrives and as he or she grows. Services will focus on prenatal care, child development, child health, parenting skills and other aspects of family functioning. In-home nursing services are available to pregnant women and infants with medical needs.
Consultation related to reproductive health and family planning for men and women is offered
The most important factor in a healthy baby is prenatal care, well-child care, and healthy family functioning. The Closet seeks to improve the health of pregnant women, their babies and families by providing:
- An incentive for pregnant women to go for prenatal cares early and regularly and to continue with well-child exams and other healthy behaviors.
- An opportunity for a family to participate in educational programs and to improve the understanding of health issues related to pregnancy and birth and care for their child.
- Information and referrals to community resources to meet the overall special needs of the pregnant woman, her unborn baby, and her family.
- Clothing, children’s items and nursery items for families who are Calhoun County Public Health Family Foundation’s clients and/or Stewart Memorial Community Hospital/McCrary Rost Clinic patients.
Child Care Nurse Consultants
Collaborates with Child Care Consultants and Department of Human Services to provide services to child care providers and families. Services include:
- Health and Safety Assessment of your Child Care Home or Center
- Health and Safety Policies
- Illness Prevention and control
- Injury Prevention Assessment
- Child and Caregiver Record Review
- Medication Administration
- Playground Safety
- Health Education Activities for children
- Environmental Safety
- Including Children with Special Needs
- Immunization Information
- Referrals to Community Services
- Assist with the Quality Rating System
Services are provided free of charge, by phone consultation,
email, or on-site visits.
Other sites with helpful information:
- Quality Rating System
- Food Program
- Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Childcare Resource and Referral
For more information contact Deb Gimer.